Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill mildew on lacquered cabinet door?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 8:50

I just noticed the door to the trash under my kitchen sink has black mildew growing in the end grain at the top of the door, and the grain (oak) running down the front edge. I wiped vinegar on, it helped a little, but it's still down in the pores of the wood. What else to use to get rid of it, and how to seal the open pores w/o refinishing the whole door? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill mildew on lacquered cabinet door?

What else to use to get rid of it,

Try a weak bleach solution.

and how to seal the open pores w/o refinishing the whole door? Thanks

Sealing the pores means refinishing the whole door. Sorry.

o
RE: How to kill mildew on lacquered cabinet door?

I was afraid bleach would ruin the finish. Try the gel pen bleach and wipe the excess off right away, just let it sit in the grain?

Can I do shellac or poly over the lacquer, so it will only stick where there's no lacquer? Or spray lacquer the whole door w/o stripping?

The cabinets are only 2 years old. Maybe it would help to put knobs on, since everyone grabs this edge of the door to access trash can, maybe with wet hands (though we have compost bucket on the counter)? Builder is out of business, I had a hard time getting help from Merillat with another problem, should I try contacting their customer service?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here