Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing Sandpaper

Posted by puzzlefan (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 8:13

I bought a light duty belt sander (B&D) for a short lived project. Although there are instructions on grit choices, no info is listed for sandpaper types. What is the difference between resin based (?) belts and other sandpapers? Does one heat up less or last longer in use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing Sandpaper

If you just need some sandpaper to do a short lived project just about anything will do. If you really (and I mean really) want to know about sandpaper, click the link below. Klingspor is one of the biggest manufacturers of sandpaper and has tons of info about grits, backings, bonding agents, etc...

Good luck with your project ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Klingspor

o

Thanks for the link. I have to admit I had never heard of that brand. I have half of the cupboard doors sanded and stained but did that by hand. I'm hoping a sander will speed things up.

o

It will definitely speed things up, lol. But you'll want to be very careful using a belt sander, it can take off alot of material very quickly. Depending on what exactly you're doing you might be better off continuing by hand or using a random orbit sander.

A random orbit sander will allow you to use low grits (40, 50, 60) for fast material removal and work up to finer grits (120, 180, 220,etc) for finish work. It is much easier to control than a belt sander.

I use my belt sander for trimming long edges, like 2x4's where on end will be slightly narrower than the other, or door edges that stick and for cleaning up chain-saw marks on wood I've cut from trees for projects. For finish sanding (or finish removal) I always use the random orbit sander.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here