Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

crown molding question....is it even possible in this room?

ccoombs1
15 years ago

When I designed this house, I wasn't even thinking about the problems that my design would cause when it came time to do the trim work. This one wall is the biggest issue. The ceilings are vaulted, so framing this wall at at 45° angle meant some pretty complicated compound angles. Is it even possible to put crown up there....or is there some other molding that might be less complicated?

Comments (9)

• User
    15 years ago

Yes it is possible. The DeWalt website(and probably others) has a table of how to cut odd angles.

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Hmm. I have a master's degree and a bachelor's degree in mathematics. I would not want to handle the trigonometry on this and hope to get it all right with a small scrap pile.

Needless to say, I'd be working with 1' long pieces to get the angles proofed before committing to a long piece of molding. Also cut the longest pieces first so if you do screw up, you can reuse the mistake on a shorter run.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures that show the area I am most concerned about (excuse the messy painting job....I have to do some touch-up). I am really not looking forward to even thinking about these cuts!!

• jclproductions
    15 years ago

you need to put in two sided beam at the cieling all the way around the room to pull all of the (ceiling) down to a 90 degree angle going around the walls with crown butted up to the beam make it possible to handle the compound miters. the beam need only be 1 1/2 tall and have enough protrution to recieve your crown size.
    hope this helps

• jclproductions
    15 years ago

if you are painting the trim you can cobble the beam face piece around the off-sets and change in pitch many different ways. the goal is for the "easier" 1x material
    to create a 90 degree landing area for the top of the crown.
    as for the outside and inside compound miters you probably
    have 11 degree in the lesser angle up to 30 degrees. outside angles about the same 22 to 45

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

There is no neat and easy way to run crown there. It would involve splitting the horizontal and vertical portions of each turn into separate transitions. Same goes for turning the main wall run into the raking run. It can be turned in steps or with blocks, but neither is preferable.
    The old-time Audels-approved way was to have a different profile of crown made for the horizontals and the rakes, which would indeed miter to each other perfectly at the corners, even though they were different profiles and sizes.
    It's the change of plane in two directions simultaneously that are hard to deal with. Turn any corner in one plane, fine, but add a incline angle to the mix and you're beyond what the molding can do.
    Casey

• rockhead515
    15 years ago

I would put cobwebs in the corners ;-)

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately all of it is out of my league....except for Rockhead's advise which I am sure I'll follow. lol!! I think this is either a job for an expert, or one best left alone. In hind sight, I should have moved the peak of the ceiling over to the right about a foot, but it's too late for that now! I'll just learn to love it like it is, with no crown.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK...here's another idea. what about running a flat moulding up there, like baseboard or maybe something narrow like a chair rail? It seems like my biggest problem is dealing with the fact that crown angles out into the ceiling. So that that out of the mix, and I am now only dealing with flat surfaces. Would that look OK? Maybe not as nice as crown, but I think it would look better than nothing. I wish I could find a picture of what I'm talking about.