Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mistakenly cut Zinsser Seal Coat with lacquer thinner

Posted by forager1945 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 3:12

I mistakenly (stupidly?) cut Zinsser Seal Coat with lacquer thinner instead of denatured alcohol, and applied it to a newly-stripped-and-sanded solid wood credenza. I realized my mistake before applying the light sanding that follows a Seal Coat application. (Seal Coat is a 2-lb. de-waxed shellac, which I attempted to change to 1-lb. cut, using a 50-50 mixture.)
Does anyone know how the lacquer thinner affects the process? Or what I can do to resolve the problem, assuming there is a problem? Can I sand it down and apply another coat of the appropriate mixture?
I'm new to woodworking and finishing, learning the hard way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mistakenly cut Zinsser Seal Coat with lacquer thinner

Did the shellac set up to a hard coating?

o

Lacquer thinner is not a homogeneous product -- it is a mix based on properties desired (and economic variables). So it it is hard to say. Some companies produce a "padding lacquer" that is shellac resin in some variant of lacquer thinner. Seal Coat itself has some different solvents in it in an attempt to increase the shelf life, which is why they say it has a 3 year shelf life instead of the usual 6-12 months of shellac flakes dissolved in denatured alcohol.

o

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The piece is sanding well--no gummy residue, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here