Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What oil to use for large outdoor tiki?

Posted by bari_sax (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 1:08

We had a large (6') tiki carved for us out of an American Elm that we had to remove. See pictures linked below. I'd like to protect the wood from splitting and water (I've already coated the base with copper naphthenate).

Any suggestions for the right oil to use? Tung / teak / Danish / rosewood / etc? Or something else entirely? This sculpture will be outside year round in the SF Bay Area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiki Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What oil to use for large outdoor tiki?

All of these [pick your name] oils are whatever the manufacturer decided to make them from. The same or similarly named product from two different manufacturers, or even two divisions of the same company can be quite different. Likewise, teak, Danish, antique, rosewood, and tung oil finishes from the same company can be either identical or varying only in small proportions of the main ingredients -- thinner, oil, varnish.

As far as I know, most of them are either thinned varnish or thinned varnish + linseed oil. In either case, they are usually meant for an in-the-wood (non film-forming) interior finish.

The ability to inhibit moisture is proportional to the thickness of the applied finish. But I don't think you want a thick finish on this piece.

Oil, by itself, is not an effective moisture barrier. Some oils are even hygroscopic (attracting moisture). Some promote microbe growth.

The other thing is that most clear finishes break down with UV exposure.

One option is to just leave it to age.

Another option is a 100% solids UV-cured resin such as at the link below. I put it on my granddaughter's swing set 4 years ago after the factory finish degraded after the first year. It has been holding up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here