Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Gorgeous black walnut burl slab--need to remove yucky poly!

mahatmacat1
9 years ago

Hi folks,

Hoping I can get some wisdom from you all concerning how to bring a large, beautiful walnut burl I got at Goodwill today, of all places, back to its natural shape so I can refinish it with a softer finish. It's got that lovely thick high-gloss polyurethane, like a marine varnish, so that's got to go...no problem getting it off the flat sides, but the live edge all around it? I don't know what to do.

Is there a really effective chemical stripper that won't ruin the live edge by needing a lot of steel wool-ing? Thanks very much in advance. We want to make it a side table with some vintage hairpin legs we have been keeping for just such a great opportunity.

Comments (6)

• klem1
    9 years ago

I suggest spraying semi-gloss or flat aerosol poly over existing poly on a section of smooth surface to see if that would look ok if used on live edge. I believe stripping edges would require tank dip by a professional.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

If the live edge has bark, then the possibility of the bark coming off is very possible. You might be able to reduce the sheen by steel wool-ing it.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, klem & sloyd. The idea of layering a flat on top of the shine had occurred to me but I didn't know if it would take years after the original finish. I'll try it on a flat so I can remove it easily. Thanks.

And sloyd, the bark is gone. There's just a *lot* of unevenness and nubs sticking out and I'm afraid if I steel-wool them, they'll either come off or get worn down. I like the immediate surface. Think I'll try the tone-down-spray idea and see how it works.

Thank you both so much!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'd love to see a picture.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

A thought for the live edge:
    Pick up some of the darkest, flat, paint base and seal it with that. I also choose exterior for sealing properties. It goes on white and dries so matte you will wonder if you actually applied it. In areas where there are pieces you'd like to adhere, or make certain they don't come off (like paint chips stuff, for example) this seals it on without the goo-ed on look anything satin or shiny makes.

You can also pick up some matte finish varnish. Beautiful, Decoart, and General Finishes make them. Much more expensive than the paint base, though.

There are strippers that don't require steel wooling, nor protective space suits, etc. These are of the 21st century and offer pretty incredible results.

I'd love to see a pic of your new acquisition!