Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waxy Coating?

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 0:50

I have a large, triptych made of monkey wood.
I admit I have no idea what that is, but it's out of Indonesia.

The carving has a white wax on it.
I was wondering if there were a way to safely remove this wax without ruining the carving underneath?

I appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waxy Coating?

I don't know if this is what you have, but there is a treatment called "dusty wax" that tends to work like a glaze. It's a mixture of wax(es), pumice and solvent to make it liquid. I've had to remove some of it and it's not fun.

Using mineral spirits or naphtha on a clean rag will remove a lot of it. Keep the rag on a clean surface or use paper towels. You may need to use a soft brush like an old toothbrush to get into the crevices.

However, it's very difficult to remove it all. Once the MS flashes off, you can buff with a dry cloth.

At this point, I normally pull out a can of dark colored wax and apply it, then buff with a soft horse-hair brush like a shoe brush. That will conceal what's left on a dark wood.

o

Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.
I really like this carving, but the white wax actually makes it look pink.

And we just can't have that.

Thanks!

o

Bobsmyuncle, I just went to look at it and discovered the wax is so thick that some places I can scrape it off with my fingernail. The crevices are end grain and it's way soaked in.
I think I have a huge project ahead of me.
I'm wondering if I could warm it somehow and work in a darker wax. Actually, in this 100degree+ heat, I could just take them outside.

Something to think about.

o

Not that it makes any difference, but I mis-typed. Dusty wax has rottenstone, not pumice, in it.

Most waxes liquify about 150F.

o

A heat gun should boil the wax right out of the pores, and perhaps vaporize it. But wipe away what you can; then, finally, scrub with a toothbrush and solvent (mineral spirits, naphtha) and it should be de-waxed.
Casey

o

Casey, is a heat gun one of those torches?
or can it be as simple as a blow dryer?

o

Heat guns are the 'big brothers' of hair dryers.

Some models can get over 1,000 F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here