Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Waxy Coating?

CEFreeman
11 years ago

I have a large, triptych made of monkey wood.

I admit I have no idea what that is, but it's out of Indonesia.

The carving has a white wax on it.

I was wondering if there were a way to safely remove this wax without ruining the carving underneath?

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (7)

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

I don't know if this is what you have, but there is a treatment called "dusty wax" that tends to work like a glaze. It's a mixture of wax(es), pumice and solvent to make it liquid. I've had to remove some of it and it's not fun.

Using mineral spirits or naphtha on a clean rag will remove a lot of it. Keep the rag on a clean surface or use paper towels. You may need to use a soft brush like an old toothbrush to get into the crevices.

However, it's very difficult to remove it all. Once the MS flashes off, you can buff with a dry cloth.

At this point, I normally pull out a can of dark colored wax and apply it, then buff with a soft horse-hair brush like a shoe brush. That will conceal what's left on a dark wood.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do.
    I really like this carving, but the white wax actually makes it look pink.

And we just can't have that.

Thanks!

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bobsmyuncle, I just went to look at it and discovered the wax is so thick that some places I can scrape it off with my fingernail. The crevices are end grain and it's way soaked in.
    I think I have a huge project ahead of me.
    I'm wondering if I could warm it somehow and work in a darker wax. Actually, in this 100degree+ heat, I could just take them outside.

Something to think about.

• bobismyuncle
    11 years ago

Not that it makes any difference, but I mis-typed. Dusty wax has rottenstone, not pumice, in it.

Most waxes liquify about 150F.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

A heat gun should boil the wax right out of the pores, and perhaps vaporize it. But wipe away what you can; then, finally, scrub with a toothbrush and solvent (mineral spirits, naphtha) and it should be de-waxed.
    Casey

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Casey, is a heat gun one of those torches?
    or can it be as simple as a blow dryer?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Heat guns are the 'big brothers' of hair dryers.

Some models can get over 1,000 F.