Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Converting a base cabinet to free standing?

texasgal47
10 years ago

Hi all -- I am assembling an order for RTA cabinets by Conestoga for a small bedroom remodel project. I want to use a file cabinet on either side of a bed as free standing nightstands. The bottom drawer is a file drawer and the top drawer is a 5" high utility drawer. Drawer fronts are simple Shaker style. Dimensions so far are 18"w x 18"d x 20"h just for the cabinet, without feet or a top added yet. I have ordered wood to enclose the back. The cabinet body is to be painted white and the top will be maple wood with a cherry stain. My questions are as follows:

1. How should I design the cabinet top? Would 1/2" thick plywood cut to overhang the front and sides by 1/2", with an edge molding to be applied, do the trick?
How would I go about attaching -- add corner blocks to the cabinet and then attach the top to the corner blocks?

2. I was considering adding castors to make the cabinet mobile as storage drawers are under the bed. However, items going into the drawers near the headboard will be rarely used, such as Christmas decorations. Do you think the cabinet would be light enough to be moved without castors if the drawers are removed? Not having the castors would make for a more attractive cabinet.

3. I'm concerned about the cabinet tipping forward with the file drawer fully extended. Anybody have suggestions regarding some type of anti-tipping device or a temporary attachment to the wall?

I'm looking forward to your assistance so I can get this order out.

Edited for another question: I see from another post that maple does not stain well. What type of wood would you recommend for staining? Please don't suggest using cherry as I like how rapidly it darkens with age.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 9:10

Comments (5)