Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mothball odor not gone

Posted by kept (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 23:48

Hi again,
I have been airing out a cedar chest for 3 weeks now and have sanded also. I have left it outside in the shade. Is having it in the sun neccessary to get rid of the mothball smell?
I have sanded it inside and out. The outside looks great after 7 coats of Formbys but the smell on the inside is still awful.
Thanks,
Vic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mothball odor not gone

Hi,
I think some charcoal would be your best bet at this point. Not the easy-lighting type!! It absorbs organic compound odors. And does a great job with steaks afterwards.
Casey

o

Unused/dry coffee grounds in glass pie plates worked for me in an old trunk. Took about six months. I changed the coffee grounds every few weeks...used about three cups each time.

Also used those Bounce fabric softening sheets in an old cabinet. Never use the stuff for laundry, but it does displace/neutralize offensive odors.

Another option is a shallow layer of white vinegar in a glass dish.

If it is very humid in your area, you might leave the trunk out in the sun Only if humidity is low.

Have never had an "instant' cure for this problem-had thought some kind of alcohol(vodka?) might work...but have not experimented yet.
cella jane

o

Just out of curiosity, I did a Google search and found this product. I know absolutely nothing about it, but it may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imtek.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=_sp-moth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here