Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with staining wood veneer

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 23:11

Hi all,

My 12-year-old and I are replacing the veneer top of a vintage sewing machine cabinet. We used mahogany wood veneer and mahogany gel stain. We have sanded and cleaned the surface before we applied the first coat of stain but once we wiped off the stain we were surprised to see bald spots. Seemed like something somehow got on the surface and prevented the stain being absorbed.

So far, it has only one coat on the veneer. If there's anything we can do to fix these little bald spots we would like to do it before apply additional coats. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Alice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with staining wood veneer

You might post a close up of the area with the group of spots. My first impression is that stray bits of glue got on the surface. Was it peel & stick and/or heat activated or did you use liquid glue?

o

Most likely some type of residue was left behind. You could try sanding them out carefully without sanding too deep. Or you could buy a stain pen and color in the spots then apply another coat. They seem small enough where it wouldnt be that noticeable.

o

Thanks for the replies. I have to agree the spots were very likely results of glue. I have tried scraping off the surface before restaining the spots but that didn't do any good. I suppose the glue bled from under the veneer so no matter how much I scraped, stain would not be absorbed. I did use a furniture marker to darken the spots but they are still pretty obviously. I have the same problem with a second panel even I did test for glue spots with lacquer thinner and scrap before the first coat of stain. The panels are top covers of an old sewing machine cabinet so the imperfections are probably perfect - to match the rest of the cabinet. :-)

o

these?

Here is a link that might be useful: brush tip markers

o

Yes. I have three of them in different brown shades. Even after scrapping the glue spots it would take only a tint. I believe the glue bled from the underside of the veneer so it wouldn't absorb any more color. It's not a big deal because the rest of the cabinet looks pretty worn too so they kind of match.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here