Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water-based clear stain not shiny enough!!!!

Posted by atragon (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 22:57

I sanded my waterbed down to natural wood. I used two coats a water-based clear semigloss to give it a stained look. Then I used two coats of clear gloss and thought I was getting a nice glossy finish....but not so.

What can I use now to get a high glossy finish. I need to get this project done before the weekend....(the last honey-do for this week!!!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water-based clear stain not shiny enough!!!!

An "off the gun" (or "off the brush") finish will only be so glossy. Gloss is largely a measure of the micro-texture of the surface. To get a really see-your-nosehair high gloss, it requires rubbing out. What you are doing is creating a finer and finer scratch pattern until you start to get to physics and wavelength of light.

Start with whatever grit will smooth the surface without making more work. I use steel wool, lubed or not, wet-and-dry sandpaper, rubbing compounds, Abralon pads up to 4000, high gloss rubbing compound, Imperial hand glaze and Penthouse Polish. Start where you need to and stop when you are happy.

Be aware though that most finishes, waterborne included, need about 3 weeks to fully cure. The longer you can wait before rubbing, the better.

Rubbing finishes

About Sheen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here