Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess2468_gw

New painted cabinets weird outgassing weeks later

Jess2468
9 years ago

This is my first post to this forum! I have been through a remodel and had built in cabinets made for family room. The cabinets look and fit great. They are made out of maple with pre-made doors. The cabinet maker had them finished locally in a white glossy paint. Now, about 8 weeks later, they are still outgassing. I have kept the cabinet doors open, doors to the room/house open, fans on and away from the cabinets. They still smell. I was told that a conversion varnish was used. No one has managed to tell me further specifics. I do know that when the cabinets were installed, I smelled what I thought was burning wood. For some reason, I thought this was part of the installation (dumb). But this burning wood smell has continued as the basic outgassing smell. It does NOT smell like the walls of my house did, or the floors all of which were finished in Low VOC water based paint. I know what paint finishes smell like. These cabinets smell different. I'm on the verge of having them taken out. I might have to have them remade. Ideally, they could be re-finished/re-painted. I'm wondering what this weird smell could indicate. Ideas?

Comment (1)