Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New painted cabinets weird outgassing weeks later

Posted by Jess2468 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 22:54

This is my first post to this forum! I have been through a remodel and had built in cabinets made for family room. The cabinets look and fit great. They are made out of maple with pre-made doors. The cabinet maker had them finished locally in a white glossy paint. Now, about 8 weeks later, they are still outgassing. I have kept the cabinet doors open, doors to the room/house open, fans on and away from the cabinets. They still smell. I was told that a conversion varnish was used. No one has managed to tell me further specifics. I do know that when the cabinets were installed, I smelled what I thought was burning wood. For some reason, I thought this was part of the installation (dumb). But this burning wood smell has continued as the basic outgassing smell. It does NOT smell like the walls of my house did, or the floors all of which were finished in Low VOC water based paint. I know what paint finishes smell like. These cabinets smell different. I'm on the verge of having them taken out. I might have to have them remade. Ideally, they could be re-finished/re-painted. I'm wondering what this weird smell could indicate. Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New painted cabinets weird outgassing weeks later

I could only guess what is causing the odor but I don't believe you should have to remedy the problem. Just tell who ever took your money to fix it or else you intend to raise a stink of your own until your money is returned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here