Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painted wood finish ok for bar sink?

Posted by kateskouros (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 22:44

hello. i'm visiting from the building and kitchen forums. i'm having a unit built for my new kitchen. it's basically an armoire style cabinet to house a baking center. it will be flanked by a desk on one side and a wet bar on the other. i want the piece to be painted black. i don't want to use marble or granite on the wet bar top since i won't have it on the desk side. ...and i don't want it for this application. the cabinet maker told me he can use a special sealer on it which will make it stand up well against water, alcohol, hot/cold cups. how does this sound to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painted wood finish ok for bar sink?

If it's going to be black, why not use laminate?

o

i hate to say it, but i'm being a bit of a snob about it. i want it to look like a piece of fine furniture. i can't see laminate... kwim?

o

I hear you on not wanting laminate, but you'll inevitably trading away durability to get the look you want. A lot depends on how heavily used this area will be, and on what is meant by "special sealer." He could mean lacquer, conversion varnish, urethane or even polyester, and the properties of these vary quite a bit. None of them are as scratch-resistant as laminate (let alone granite).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here