Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodmaster 4 in 1 mouldings

Posted by kjohn38 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 14, 09 at 20:59

I have a Woodmaster 725 which I recently bought. The info they give you makes it sound like you can make boatloads of money, but from what I can tell there are so many steps that it would be very difficult to be competitive and make a decent hourly wage at it. There are a lot of expenses from extra equipment such as edge sanders, dust collection, sandpaper, other shop expenses such as electricity, that it may actually be cost-prohibitive.

Nethertheless I have begun to make some mouldings and have sold a small amount to a local cabinet shop. The main reason I wanted to do this was to have some variety as I cannot sit at my home deskjob all day due to neck problems.

Would be interested in sharing information with other owners, especially those who are using to generate income, maybe to pass along some tricks and experiences.

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodmaster 4 in 1 mouldings

You might want to post this on a more professionally-oriented forum like Woodweb.

o
RE: Woodmaster 4 in 1 mouldings

"The info they give you makes it sound like you can make boatloads of money, but from what I can tell there are so many steps that it would be very difficult to be competitive and make a decent hourly wage at it."

Commercial moldings are made on 4 cutter power feed equipment that cuts all the surfaces in a single pass.

No single cutter equipment is going to be cost competitive.

I make only those moldings I cannot obtain from my large and old (in business for over 100 years) lumberyard.

If they do not already have finished molding they use a single cutter shaper with a set up charge of $125 each time the cutter must be set up and changed.

If only a few feet is needed I can run it for less money and faster.

If your purpose in buying the tool was to make money you have been badly misled.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here