Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I have my oak kitchen cabinets refinished or painted?

Posted by boopsie (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 11, 09 at 20:52

I have golden oak kitchen cupboards. I can not decide as to whether or not to have a professional refinish them or paint them! Has anyone stained their golden oak cupboards to a darker color? If so, how did it turn out? Did the grain end up being REALLY dark? Has anyone had their oak cupboards painted? If so, does the uneveness of the grain look funny? If I have them painted a beige color, I am wondering how it will look since the surface won't be smooth (due to the grain). Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I have my oak kitchen cabinets refinished or painted?

you should post this on the kitchen's forum, there are many people who have painted existing oak cabinets or gel stained over existing finish and I have seen pics posted there of finished cabinets that were quite beautiful.

o

We had our oak kitchen cabinets painted a light cream color. We debated about this for four years. My husband was really against painting wood, but finally we just went for it. Now we wish we'd done it sooner. They look amazing. We cannot see the grain underneath. We did have them professionally done. It updated our kitchen...looks great. Go for it, but do it right.

o

Our oak cabinets were painted over and looked fine. Some grain is visible but it looks perfectly fine IMO. As long as the paint job is well done, I can't understand why people worry about a little grain line. It must be a matter of opinion. I say go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here