Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What glue sticks to a polyurethane finish?

Posted by franksmom_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 20:45

Hello woodworking folks!

I'm working on a craft project, and need to glue some leather to a wooden box with a poly finish. I have available: Elmer's Glue All, E600, Elmer's Wood Glue, Titebond liquid hide glue, Gorilla glue, and Superglue.

Please, I know that glueing leather strips to a poly finish box isn't a true craftsman type of thing, but like I said, this is a craft project. It's a pirate treasure chest. For a doll. Don't judge me.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What glue sticks to a polyurethane finish?

Glue-All, Liquid Hide Glue, and Wood glue will not work. Gorilla glue would need clamping in place to have any chance.

Of the remaining, I would probably look at the e600 first. But the real answer would be to run a trial on something other than your project.

o

superglue, FTW!
Casey

o

Thanks so much!! You guys are the best!

I have one tiny bit of poly finish left to do, so I think I'll brush it on a few popcicle sticks to practice with.

I'm pretty sure the Superglue would work, but there's just no open time or margin of error at all with that stuff, and this is a very tiny project, so I have a feeling it'll take some fiddling with.

o

Your best bet would be to put all those glues aside and get some contact cement. Brush the contact cement on both the wood and the leather and let it set till it is tacky, then touch it together voila's..it's stuck forever

You can get a small 2oz bottle of contact cement in any hardware, home supply or craft shop.

o

Rubber cement or a hot glue gun would probably work just as well and likely be reversible; come back off without harming the box, in case pirates ever go out of style.
What ever happened to mucilage?
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here