Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Purple Heart stay purple?

Posted by pbrisjar (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 20:33

Purple is my favorite color (with pink a close second). I saw some Purple Heart wood the other day and fell in absolute love. Now I'm scheming on how I can get some in my home. Just wondering, does it stay the vibrant beautiful purple that I saw or does it change over time? If so, how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Purple Heart stay purple?

A friend has a piece of it and,yes, it does stay purple. But it might get washed out if exposed to sun every day, so you might want to avoid using it in any application where it gets direct sun every day.

o

I have been using PH as an accent wood for years. When cut/sanded, it turns brown. To regain the purple color, simply expose the wood to sunlight. But, if the piece has several different sides, you must expose all the sides to the sun equally. If a section gets shaded, there will be two different shades of purple.

I have made several picture frames with PH or having PH as an accent wood. I use water based poly as a finish to allow the purple color to remain natural(oil based finishes impart an amber tone that does not look good with PH) Over time---several years, the color fades a bit---but exposing equally to the sun for an hour or so brings the color back.

o

theres a line of ployurethanes minwax has called "polycryllic" polycrillic is the only urethane i know of that does not amber over time. almost all urethanes amber, including water based ones. just thought id mention it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here