Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pretendstogarden

Nail gun? Hammer? Finishing nails for wood trim?

pretendstogarden
15 years ago

I am a complete novice, but willing DIY. I need to install door trim and baseboard in my bathroom. Nothing fancy, just ranch oak. Asked my neighbor, but he is too busy with his own DIY projects.

Would it be best to rent a nail gun or use a hammer? Neighbors wife said I would dent my wood using a hammer.

Do I need to drill pilot holes, or will the nails go through the trim and cement board and studs?

I already bought 2 1/2 inch finishing nails, planning on doing it myself, since there is not much to do. But now I am having doubts.

I can do this, can't I?

Is that the right size nails?

I just really need to get it done so I can get my tile done, so I can get my toilet, shower, and sink hooked up!

Any tips or suggestions?

Otherwise, I think I may stop at the rental place and get a nail gun!

Thanks so much!

Theresa

Comments (12)

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, for many, many, years carpenters used hammers and nails and worked handily. Only because some flannel-shirted guy lays into pneumatics does not mean that an occasional user needs to do the same.

If it's oak, it would help avoid splitting if you drill a pilot hole. (Note: I did not say pre-drill, whatever that means).

• mike_kaiser_gw
    15 years ago

You'll definitely dent the wood if you miss the nail. :-) The idea is to leave the nail a little proud and then finish driving it with a nail set.

Having done it both ways I can tell you that a pneumatic nailer is faster and easier (that's why modern carpenters use 'em). You can definitely hand nail as well but it does take some practice. All depends on your budget and time frame.

I'd probably tile first and then install the moulding. Then you don't have to worry about getting thinset and grout on your trim.

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

If you are unsure of yourself with a hammer, do what I did when I was teaching my kids to hammer. Get a 4"x4" (more or less) square of 1/4" plywood. Cut from the center of one edge to the center with a circular saw or table saw.

Start your nail, then slip the square over the nail and center it in the slot. Pound away until it's level. Remove the square and set below surface with a nail set.

You can also use it as a protector if you need to pull a nail out somewhere along the line.

• pretendstogarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are the nails the right size? They look awful big for finishing nails. What do I know?! LOL! On the box it says..
    FINISHING NAIL 8-D
    2 1/2 INCHES
    NET WT. 1 LB
    APPROX 170 PER LB

I was going to use a sponge instead of the piece of wood! I don't have a circular saw or table saw!
    Necessity is the mother of invention!

Thanks so much for all the tips! They are great!
    Do I have the right size nails?
    Theresa

• eal51
    15 years ago

8 D finishing nails will work but you could also use 6 D finishing nails.

For oak trim you definitely need to drill pilot holes for the nails. Practice with your hammer on scrap wood so you get the feel of striking the nail squarely. As said before, you will need a nail set to hammer the head just below the surface of the wood.

Since you said you don't have a circular or table saw, how are you going to cut the trim to length? Or are the trim pieces pre-cut? If not, I would suggest you purchase a miter box and saw.

Enjoy the journey.
    eal51 in western CT

• pretendstogarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did already buy a nail set and miter box and saw ;^)

Thanks again for all the tips!

I think i'm gonna do OK

Theresa

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

They will normally have a wider kerf than hand saws, band saws, jig saws, etc. You could do it with a drill or anything that would make a hole or slit wide enough for your nail.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    15 years ago

Theresa,

If you're going to practice hand nailing, I'd suggest setting something up that mimics what you're actually going to be doing. Standing at a bench or table and swinging in front of you is quite different (and much easier) than being on your knees swinging sideways or underhanded at a nail a couple of inches off the floor.

• randy427
    15 years ago

Also, practice nailing with scrap sections of your oak trim. It's a whole lot different than nailing pine.
    I'd start the actual project in a closet or other non-prominent place where beginner goofs aren't readily seen.

• pasigal
    15 years ago

Yeah, oak can be a pita. it's really tough. Definitely drill pilot holes. You should be more than fine with 2.5" nails, but make sure you know where your studs are. I actually don't mind using a hammer and nail set; probably b/c I do it for "fun" i get satisfaction from driving the nails home by hand.

• Helen Yang
    3 years ago

I've all of those tools. I do wood work in my daily life. I hope, all of those tools are necessary