Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lajoe_gw

mahogany stain over cherry stain ??? multi questions

lajoe
16 years ago

Hi !

I'm finishing doors of cherry. I applied Minwax oil based conditioner then a coat of Olympic American Cherry oil stain and although I had done a test spot I'm not pleased with the final result. This stain is just too orange. Final coat will be three application of satin polyurethane..

Questions -

Can I apply a second stain such as Olympic Red Mahogany on top of this. Will the new coat blend in or be blotchy?

I don't actually want the deep (dark) full depth of the Red Mahogany - can I add thinner so it would be more of a wash that would tame the orange?

If I do apply a new stain should I apply the conditioner again ?

I have two more cherry doors I've yet to begin so I will repeat the process (whatever it ends up being) with these doors since all four will be in the same room. Even with the conditioner some blotching is evident. I used an oil based conditioner - would water based have been a better choice?

thanks for your help !

jd

Comments (5)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Red doesn't neutralize orange. You'll have a redder orange. You need to work these things out on sample boards before you start on the woodwork. No need to apply conditioner again. The olympic stains seem to be a combination of dyes and pigments, which is why they can achieve much darker colors than minwax. I have been using the merlot color, and it's so much stronger than minwax dark mahogany there's no comparison. If you don't want it dark you'll have to apply and wipe off immediately.
    Caey

• lajoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks sombreuil mongrel

A redder orange may be just the ticket !

I wish I had tested better before beginning. I used the ceiling facing edge for testing and tried the Olympic American Cherry, Merlot and Red Mahogany and a fourth I don't remember. I don't know if it was caused by the particular board on that portion of the door or whatever but they all looked much more similar that I thought possible considering the samples I'd seen in the store and the brochure - none of which had been applied to Cherry.

I expect if I just proceed to the poly finish that the doors will naturally darken to suit my taste eventually. I'm hesitant to apply a new stain since I was so wrong the first time - oh well - thanks again
    jd

• kmealy
    16 years ago

Before you go any further, run some samples. Finishes will add or change the color, so you need to apply your intended finish to see where the result ends up. I stained some waincoting recently and my friend said, "It's not red enough." I told him to put on a couple of coats of finish and then we could adjust the color if needed. When I saw him next he said it turned out perfectly just as it was. And he's very particular about color and matching.

• a223759
    14 years ago

Hi do you still have olympic american cherry Stain?.
    Because i need 1 qt to finish my project>
    Thanks.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

The H3II of it is, Olympic has discontinued these strong dark oil stains! We have to go back to scratch, trial and error to replace them. General finishes has some very dark oil-based gel stains, but it's not the same thing if you need a liquid stain.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Casey

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living