Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about refinishing cherry desk

Posted by eilime (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 10 at 19:05

Hi all,

I bought a hideous desk at a garage sale with hopes that lurking under layers of paint and stain I'd find cherry... and I did! I've stripped the layers of paint and varnish off and I'm down to bare wood. Except it seems like there's still way-too-dark stain stuck in the pores of the wood. I'd rather not color the wood, and in fact I was planning to use boiled linseed oil and then wipe on poly to finish the desk.

So the question is:
1) How can I (or can I) remove the stain from the pores?
2) If I can't remove the stain from the pores, will the linseed oil darken the wood enough to disguise the leftover stain?
3) Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks,

Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about refinishing cherry desk

Hi,
Pics would help. you are absolutely certain it's cherry, not a look-alike?
There used to be a chemical application for ebonizing cherry that was indelible. It could be planed off it you took enough wood.
It used something like bi-chromate of potassium or some such.
There are two kinds of wood bleaches: oxalic acid (for mineral based staining) and the two-part liquid (peroxide-based ) used for organic stains. You may have to try both, but I'd start with the oxalic acid because it's less harmful to the wood, IMO.
Can't say if linseed oil would darken it "enough" becuz I haven't seen it.
Casey

o

You can maybe just keep on wiping down with stripper, though I guess Casey is suggesting that if it is ebonized, no more colour will come off. So if you try wiping with a white cloth/paper towel soaked in the stripper you're using (or lay the soaked cloth on top for a while, then wipe), you'll see if you can get more out. I use a stripper called EZWay that doesn't require water clean-up, and it does a great job of that last bit of colour. On the woods I've worked on anyway.

KarinL

o

Without photos, I'm just guessing, but it could be pigment from a stain that is still lodged in the pores. If so, you might have some success applying a coat of shellac, letting it cure, then stripping it off. The shellac may bind to the pigment and the original stain binder and pull it out. It may or may not work, but would be worth a trial.

o

Cherry pores are very small.

Is is considered a 'closed grain' wood.

Are you sure it is not some other wood?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here