Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherilynn_gw

PROS: I need help identifying a part of a cabinet.

sherilynn
16 years ago

Hi,

I need help identifying parts of my cabinet door so I can purchase new 'thingys' for it. The cabinet maker is not supportive of do-it-yourselfers and wants me to hire him to take over. I paid him $40 to drill holes for two doors. I can't afford him. Shoot, we're almost done. Please help me identify what these inserted plug things are called so we can buy more.

Also, since I now understand that I will need more of these plug things, I will also have to drill some holes for other doors, I think. I need to know how to drill the holes and if there are any special tools to insert these 'things'. Please help advise.

The cabinet company predrilled for the hinges, but not these square pegged inserts. Oh..I have some doors with 'nylon' or plastic inserts and some have metal ones.

Thank you for helping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Door photos

Comments (12)

• Pooh Bear
    16 years ago

Are these the type hinges you are using.
    I'm looking at several similar types in a print catalog.
    If not could you post a picture of the hinge.

Woodworkers Supply catalog, December 2006, page 185

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: WoodTek Compact Face Frame Hinges

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    If the doors are not pre-drilled for "plastic dowels" just use screw in ones. The plastic inserts are primarily for a) composite (non-wood) doors, or b) quick assembly in the factory. They press-fit in that way. The screw-in hinges are a few pennies cheaper, too. All you really have to worry about is buying the hinge to maintain the proper door overlay. This is the amount of face frame covered by the door. It can vary from 1/2" to 1 1/2"
    Casey

• sherilynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

pooh bear,
    The photo you showed is not exactly like the hinges on my cabinets.
    I have all of the hinges, I just don't have those insert things. WHAT do I put in those extra two holes the cabinet maker drilled, is what I want to know.
    The hinges we've used are for a Full Overlay Maple Door. The European hinge, adjusts in 6 directions, and has a quick release clamp. They're a nice hinge. I just don't want to strip the doors off not using the proper pieces. The green doors are huge and heavy.

Casey, OK...where can I find these 'screw in plastic dowels' that you are talking about. These are for tiny screws.

Thanks again,
    SheriLynn

• Pooh Bear
    16 years ago

Are these the hinges? These have 6 way adjustment.
    The big hole is drilled with a forstener bit.
    I wouldn't drill the little holes for inserts.
    I would put the screws directly into the wood.
    Inserts are normally used when the original holes get stripped out.

Or maybe you are looking for some kind of threaded inserts?
    Look at page 197, Something similar to part # 123-443 or 897-920.

The only plastic inserts I can think of at the moment are
    the ones that go into drywall for attaching stuff to the wall.
    I prefer butterfly bolts for this job.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: Salice hinges WW Supply page 182

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    The plastic dowels come with the new hinges when ordered so. I was trying to say don't use them unless you must. Use regular screw-in style. The only reasons to use them is if the holes are already there, or if the doors are not solid wood. The inserts work better in mdf, particle board, and other composites that have difficulty taking screws.
    Casey

• sherilynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Casey,
    Thank you. Now, the question that I am asking is: where do I purchase these plastic dowel plugs? The original ones were damaged trying to remove them from the original door. As you can see in the photo of the green door, the cabinet maker DID drill holes that need something other than a screw. As a matter of fact, I don't have anything to screw into, really, for fear that I will screw through to the front of the door.

Pooh Bear, those look right.

Thank you again.
    Sheri

• mustang_05
    16 years ago

No special name for them , just plastic dowels for euro hinges.
    I have plenty of them laying around.
    They do not have the square part on top, but work the same for holding the hinge screw, just tap them in flush.
    Let me know how many you need and I will send them at no cost (as long as it isn't a couple hundred, lol)
    Just e-mail your address.
    Hope this helps-Randy

• mustang_05
    16 years ago

You can purchase the part at www.hdlusa.com part #B070.0532

• sherilynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Randy,

Thank you. The link above will only sell them wholesale to people that have an account. I will gladly reimburse you.

They are only on the larger doors, so 4 per door. 44 is what I need. I couldn't reuse the old ones when I had new doors and drawers made.

I will email you my name.
    Thank you so very much.
    Sheri

• sherilynn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Randy,
    You will have to email me. You don't have a way for me to email you.

Sheri

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Here ya go.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Blum Plastic Dowels

• mustang_05
    16 years ago

here is the retail website of HDL:
    http://wwhardware.com/
    the link was at the bottom of the hdl homepage