Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darkening stain

Posted by niamaria (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 18:19

Hi all. I'm pretty new to refinishing work but my in-laws recently passed down a number of great pieces in need of some TLC, so I've got a lot of it ahead of me.

One of my first projects is stripping and refinishing a pecan table that belonged to my husband's grandmother. I stripped it with no problem (using an orange stripper) sanded and applied a pre-stain application because I wasn't sure how evenly the wood would take the stain. I used an oil based stain from Minwax - Red Oak - but it's not as dark as I would like. Too much oak, not enough red. I have two applications of stain on now and it's still not where I want it. Do I have to strip and start again using a different stain or are there other options? I've been told to try Polyshades, but that scares me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darkening stain

Try Bartley's Gel Stain. Two colors I would recommend are Pennsylvania Cherry and Dark Red Mahogany. They can go over minwax, and you can add as many coats as needed to get it dark.
Apply to one area or part at a time, and wipe to even out the tone. You have to work fast, don't go back over areas, and recoat after one day.
Casey

o
RE: Darkening stain

Another approach is to apply a coat or two of finish, then apply a glaze. You can use the gel stain as a glaze. I use glazes about 95% of the time I (re-)finish to adjust the color to get it just where I want it.

A glaze is simply a color applied between coats of finish, compared to a stain that is applied to bare wood.

Forget the finishing advice to use Polyshades. I also recommend you do not apply more coats of Minwax stain. It is not penetrating any more and can only cause problems such as not curing.

Here is a link that might be useful: glazing techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here