Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

My 'reclaimed' Mahogany Door

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Well, I couldn't stand it.

I posted elsewhere that I just gave up and started sanding my door.

Between 2006 and 2008, the door had probably 10 coats of Olympic dark brown something butt ugly stain on it. The thing is, at that point I didn't know I had to wipe it off. So, stain, wipe-on poly, again and again. Did I mention again?

BTW. That Mixwax wipe-on poly that's supposed to give a hand rubbed finish? Huh? Still waiting.

Anyway, I sanded the heck out of it. I couldn't get into some of the detail, and there's definitely little tiny bits in the deeper pores. However, it's gorgeous.

I started my normal vacillating about what finish was what and what would last, blah blah blah.

Finally, I just finished putting a coat of Australian Timber Oil on it. It is stunning. The grain is gorgeous, the bits of stain and a band around a raised panel detail look just fine.

I'm calling it my reclaimed Mahogany door. After all. It was bound for the reuse center, since I couldn't strip it, I hated it as it was, and I had nothing to lose.

Green, reclaimed, whatever. It's now a door I love. Just gotta do the sidelights.