Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify these unusual chairs?

Posted by anon2u (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 18:09

I had the occasion to purchase a set of these chairs recently. They must have been some kind of designer chairs within the last 25-45 years, is my guess, but I have been able to find only two visual image references on Google about them. No information as to designer, manufacturer, age, etc. so I've come to GardenWeb to pick "the experts'" minds.

They are very well made (88 uniform thickness slats glued together, with spacer blocks at the very top and the very top and "bottom"), and easily support a sitting person's weight, despite the precarious appearance.

Click the link below to see a photo of this style chair at a gallery auction:

Thanks in advance to the smart person who can identify them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of these unusual chairs in a gallery auction

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify these unusual chairs?

It's based on the "Zig-Zag Chair" designed by by Gerrit Rietveld in 1934.

But it's using individual slats and not Rietveld's solid slabs.

Nice chairs if you like modern.

o
RE: Can anyone identify these unusual chairs?

Nice try, I'm familiar with the Rietveld "Zig-Zag Chair" but if you look closely again, my wood slat chairs do not follow the zig-zag "Z" shape - mine are more of a cantilevered design.

On another forum, someone actually suggested a folding chair that can hang flat on a wall when not in use (see link below). I had not seen that type of chair before, and although the shape in seating mode looks more like my slat chairs, it is obviously not the same chair.

So, still on the hunt for the backstory on these mysterious (but wonderful) slat chairs of mine...

Here is a link that might be useful: Innovative chairs that fold up flat and can be hung on a wall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here