Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finish on IPE

Posted by scd8418 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 18:07

Does anyone have a recommendation for a finish for IPE? I want something natural that will last.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toolcritic.com for tool information.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finish on IPE

Ipe is quite enduring as is. Someone I know left it as is and after 4 years had to finally sand off the grey caused by UV.

Some ditrsibutors recommend a "light oil" which will also darken and improve its appearance. I don't know a particular product name, but if you qoogle Ipe it will show several distributor sites that may have a product listed. Boiled linseed oil MIGHT work, but I think it would be broken down by UV light.

Don't bother with spar varnish, or any film type poly, etc. Given the high oil content of ipe they'll peel off in no time.

o

It is unclear whether the ipe will be indoors or outdoors. If it is to be outdoors, such as some sort of deck furniture, then the recommendation to avoid film-forming finishes is correct.

I have a small metal-framed end table that used to have a pressed-board top with a cowboy-themed image stamped on. Lovely. I made a new top out of several pieces of leftover ipe deck boards, sanded it smooth and finished it with a simple polyurethane (I don't remember whether it was oil-based or water-based) and the finish has lasted (indoors) for several years thus far.

o

For outside use, check out a product named Woodzotic. There is a lot of info about it on the Decks forum.

o

What does that link have to do with your question?

Methinks you are advertising.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here