Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Rocking Chair

Posted by mcdave (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 17:20

I have a good quality wood rocking chair and the spindles on one arm have loosened. Not so loose that I can completely remove it to glue it. It is assembled using a wedge driven into the underside of the post, underneath the seat. Any ideas on how I can tighten this joint would be appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Rocking Chair

Rockler( and other woodworking supply companies---WoodCraft, for instance) sells a glue syringe---to inject glue in very small places---ideal for your situation.

o
RE: Help with Rocking Chair

Better than that is "Chair Doctor" glue. Woodcraft and Lee Valley both carry it. It's very thin and wicks into the joint, swells it up and glues it down. It is _not_ the same thing as Chair Loc. I use it whenever I can't get into a joint easily (for example some yahoo has filled it full of nails or staples.)

If that fails, I drill out the wedge, remove the spindle/arm, clean up the joint, reglue it, and put in a new wedge. This is much easier (and more common) for wedges on the bottom than on the top (for example holding legs on a Windsor chair with through tenons).

Here is a link that might be useful: chair doctor glue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here