Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckkl

Need Advice quick: Is this a good deal?

beckkl
16 years ago

I have been reading everything I can about woodworking lately, and really want to get into the hobby. As fate would have it I just received the opportunity to purchase a person's equipment at what looks to be a great deal. Can anyone comment?

Delta 10" Contractors Table Saw with unifence, rockler outfeed and extension table, also a Delta Uniguard

Jet JJ-6CSX 6" Joiner

Dewalt DW734 Planer

Dewalt DW621 Router

Freud 6" Super Dado Blade

Penn State 1HP Dust Collection system

and also a Honda gas pressure washer.

Anyway, all of that for $1200. All is in like new condition. Does that seem like a good deal? It does to me, but I was hoping I could get someone else opinion before I bite. Any thoughts would help!!!

Comments (5)

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

If it were all in excellent condition it might be a decent price, but if you've just been reading and think you want to get into the hobby then you'd be jumping the gun to buy so much equipment at once. You don't even know enough to discern whether it's in good condition or not. You also don't say what sort of woodwork interests you, and there are many kinds of work that this equipment won't do. It would be far better to buy equipment incrementally, when you're clearer about what you need. Start with a pocketknife and move on from there.

• beckkl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know a bit... I've been doing trim work for a while, and want to get into some light furniture and cabinetry. I've seen the equipment. All of it is about 1yr old, and looks spotless. The table alone is going for about $550 on amazon.com, and the jointer for $440, so this really seems like a deal to me. But then again, it could be the excitement taking over. I definitely understand buying things incrementally, but from what I can tell most of this is 50% less than I can find online, and no shipping costs.......

• User
    16 years ago

Nice guy. Sheesh.

Those machines for that money is a really good deal. Even if you find woodworking is not for you, you will be able to sell them for about what you bought them for.

Come on over to www.woodnet.net, free to register, and there are over 20,000 woodworkers who can and will be happy to help you get started. You can start out on the Woodworking forum. Tell the folks Mac invited you. That's me---I'm the Senior Moderator over there. We have pro's, award winning amateurs, weekenders, and everywhere in between. Several ladies who work wood better than many of the guys as well.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

It sounds like you know more than I imagined, about both the equipment and what you want to do with it. Most of that equipment is rather light-duty for my taste (the router is a nice one), but you've got to start somewhere. It does sound like a good deal for what it is. I suspect you'll spend time re-selling some of it that you might otherwise spend woodworking, but if you don't mind then why not?

Will you have any cash left over? If you want to do any furniture work, it'll be hard to get along without a bandsaw.

• beckkl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I'm looking at bandsaws as well, if just for the resawing capabilities. Thanks for the advice. Also, thanks for the info on woodnet. I'm sure I'll be flooding the forum with questions in no time ;)