Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you finished your own butcher-block cutting board?

Posted by maydl (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 08 at 16:44

If you have finished your own butcher block cutting board, how smooth did you make the cutting surface? I am up to 150 grit sandpaper, and I'm wondering how much higher I need to go. I'm worried that a glassy smooth surface (220 grit and above) might actually be dangerous by making my knives slip.

Advice? Thanks!

I first posted this in the Kitchens Forum this morning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you finished your own butcher-block cutting board?

Hi,
I sanded mine to 320. If you want it really smooth, get 600 grit wet or dry paper (black color, in the automotive dept) and wet sand the board with your preferred finish oil (after dry sanding through 320). This gets the wood sinfully smooth and silky. Keep the sandpaper fresh and oil-soaked as you work.
Casey

o

I would not bother going finer than 120 or 150. The surface is going to get scarred on first use, assuming this is going to be a "working board."

o

Thanks, casey and bobs, for your responses. I think I will stop at 150 grit and then apply mineral oil. Yes, it will be a working board, so it'll get sliced and diced daily. Today I looked at new cutting boards being sold at Williams-Sonoma, and they were quite rough--certainly no smoother than mine is now. Their display tables, on the other hand, had sealed butcher block tops that had been sanded, as Casey describes, to a silky sheen.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here