Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coloured Stain on Exterior Pine Door

Posted by honey_do_this (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 16:30

After hours of searching for product information and resources I really need advice and help on the best stain available/suitable to apply to a custom made pine door. I want to stain/dye the door a "Muskoka Red" and will then apply a finish coat of spar urethane. I cannot find a suitable product in the colour I want from the usual suppliers such as Minwax, Old Masters, etc. I wonder if a water based stain with a urethane topcoat will hold up to the elements. The door faces west. There seems to be a higher number of colour choices in the water based stains. There is a a small covered
porch roof over the door which will protect it from rain. The door is a curved, "wine cellar" style and was quite expensive so I do not want to make any mistakes. Experienced tips would be greatly appreciated. Also, I live in Ontario, Canada so not as many products available as there are in the U.S.A.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coloured Stain on Exterior Pine Door

What you want to do is not a DIY type job. pine is very difficult to stain/dye without splotching and looking really awful. Plus, it sounds as if you will need to mix colors to get the shade/tone you want. Adding to that situation is the added amber tint oil based polyurethane will add to the wood. One coat of spar varnish is not enough, three is the minimum recommended amount. And each coat adds amber tone.

It seems the best way to get what you want is to have a professional do the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here