Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of paint for a butcher block table

Posted by Shirl_in_TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 15:40

I am wanting to paint my butcher block table black and give it a rubbed/worn look. It has been oiled over the years, and I am not sure how to prepare it for painting. Also, should I use an oil base or water base paint? I have never done this before, so your input is very appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of paint for a butcher block table

Do you want to paint the table base/legs or the tabletop itself?
If it is the butcher table top-WHY? When a butchers surface needs a facelift, just sand it down and recoat it with mineral oil, Good as new! I have an OLD,OLD butcher's chopping block that I bought at a salvage shop. It was in rough shape. I sanded the greyed, soiled wood away and recoated it with the above mineral oil. It drank in 3 quarts of oil!! The cracks closed up and now it's back in service. The only attention it gets is a coat of mineral oil, now and then.Everyone remarks about how beautiful it is. IF, however, you are determined to paint, you'll need to use real oil paint. Latex and acrylic will never stick or last. Painting butcherblock should be you LAST option, IMNSHO! BTW, mineral oil is food safe and really cheap, like $1.30 a quart. Let us know how it goes. ((*_*))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here