Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Table fron the 1800's needs stiffined up.

Posted by smi123155 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 15:35

Hello,
I have a table that my wife's grandfather gave her who he got from his grandmother. The senimental value is tremendous with this desk. My question is that I don't want to ruin it by screwing screws into it to stiffin the legs to the base (table is very wobbly). I know they say that if you touch antique furniture, you have the potential of losing it's value.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Table fron the 1800's needs stiffined up.

It sort of depends on how the legs are attached. If they are a mortise and tenon joint, you can disassemble the joints, add shims if needed, and re-glue. The original was probably done with hide glue, which you can still get today in a premixed, liquid, form. This will reactivate the old glue and is probably the best choice.

If there is some type of metal hardware, then you'll need to say what (but most of it can be tightened, which is obvious.)

Generally if there is a wood-to-wood joint adding a screw is not the best of ideas. A glue joint spreads the stress -- metal hardware concentrates it. I don't think I've ever seen a broken chair or table joint that did not break right at a metal fastener (screw, bolt, nail, etc.) So I'm with you there, but for a different reason:

As far as "touching," I'm afraid antiques road show has created a nation of deer in the headlights (see link). Not fixing it will accelerate its demise and make it worth nothing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antiques Roadshow

o

Ok, I'll post some pics on here so you have a little better idea of what i'm looking at. I se no wood-wood joints, i see no metal hardware... i'm just not sure untill you give me your input after viewing the pics.
Give me a day or so and I'll get some pics on here.

Thank you kindly for your reply!!!

o

If there are no joints and no metal hardware, it's just a pile of boards. They're there, somewhere.

o

"The original was probably done with hide glue, which you can still get today in a premixed, liquid, form."

You can still get it in the original dry granulated form, but you need a glue pot to heat it up and keep it heated.

I still use it to restore old pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here