Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinet door question for built in

Posted by scubated (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 15:32

We are doing cabinet bases for bookshelves which are on either side of the fireplace. We have built the cabinets but now need to order doors. The left cabinet is next to the baseboard heater and we needed to build the frame a bit wider on the left side to accommodate the door swing. Question is do we use equally wide doors ignoring the wider left frame and the doors will not meet in the center or do we use a smaller door on the left side so they meet in the center? Is there a rule of thumb or what do you think would look better.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinet door question for built in

The doors are the main thing you see when looking at a cabinet. I usually make all the doors equal size to keep it balanced. I also line up the doors to each other so the edges and centers are in line. If your cabinet face frame has no center stile, the doors being off center should not be very noticeable.

Without a picture it is pretty hard to say what will look better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here