Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Cab Stain/Finish Question

Posted by megan1031 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 15:32

We just moved into a new home early July, and we have natural knotty alder cabinets that are stained a dark chestnut color.

I've noticed recently that when I clean with a soft rag and Pledge, some of the stain is coming off onto my rag.

I contacted the builder who said it shouldn't be happening (explained the process for the stain) and to continue to watch the cabinets for fading. I hate to clean if it may continue to pull the stain off--don't want to see the fading occur.

What could possibly be making the stain come off to my rag? How would they fix this?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Cab Stain/Finish Question

What finish did they use?

o
RE: Kitchen Cab Stain/Finish Question

If there is actually a finish on the cabinets, the Pledge will not touch the stain.

If there is no finish on the cabinets, the job is not completely done. Stain is a colorant, not a protectant.

Find out what finish was applied.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here