Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-finish Oak question?

Posted by splais (splais1@msn.com) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 15:10

I have an oak coffee table I want to refinish in a darker cherry color. Right now it looks like it was stain neutral or light oak and then varnished/PU'd. I need help what is the best way to prep this thing - two questions, or one long depending on how you read it.

Would it be best to just sand the surface before staining, or should I us a liquid stripper? If I use a stripper I'm worried about cleaning it up (i.e., using water) without raising the grain of the wood. Any help greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-finish Oak question?

Use a stripper, sanding is not an effective way. Sanding will not necessarily remove all the finish and you can end up with uneven staining. Also, if the top is veneer, it is very easy to sand through to the substrate. And finally, you will gum up a lot of sandpaper and expend a lot of time and effort.

You can find strippers in liquid or "semi-paste" (gel). Not all strippers rinse with water. Read the label to see what they recommend.

Also be aware that if it is a factory finish, there is almost no chance it's polyurethane. Lacquer is the most common finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strippers

o

Raising the grain of the wood is not a disaster. It takes a lot less sandpaper and work to knock down a bit of raised grain than it does to sand off the entire finish.

o

We use a stripper called E-Z Way that does not require water clean-up and does not raise the grain at all. We mail order it - I don't think it's available in stores.

Although I think it would fall into the ATM category according to the article linked above, I'm not sure it's precisely addressed in the article as it is extremely effective on multiple coats of paint as well as on lacquers.

KarinL

o
Amendment

Actually I'd better amend my use of the word "lacquer" as I'm not sure if that's the kind of clear coat I've used it on, might have been varnish or whatever was used on old furniture. I've certainly never had it fail me though, through a fair variety of projects.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here