Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tool to trim existing baseboard from side without removing

Posted by yung-cheng (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 15:06

I plan to remove the existing old 2" door casing with a wider and pretty one. Some carpenter told me that I do not need to remove the existing baseboard to accommodate the wider door casing. I have quite a few door casings
to replace. Thought if I can just trim the existing basebord (next to the new casing) one inch shorter on the end, then I'll have less work to patch the wall and less damage to the baseboard.
1. Is there a tool for this task? By the way, the existing baseboard is stained oak and the new door casing will be MDF.

2. If there is no tool for this, what do you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tool to trim existing baseboard from side without removing

This is what most people use, as far as I'm aware. Get the "Flush cut saw blade" at the bottom of the page.

If you are really good with a saw, you might be able do it with a Japanese-style saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: FMM

o

Another option is the Fein MultiMaster with a saw cutoff blade.

o

That's what I said... see the link.

o

To start the cut, tack a small piece of the new casing to the wall and use the edge as a guide for the blade. Once the cut is started the blade follows it easily. The Fein Multimaster is a great tool, but the blades are really $$!

o

it can be done with a saw zall also which cost considerably less than the Feim MM.
You just need a sharp blade and a steady hand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here