Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does cherry get redder over time?

Posted by mkiv808 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 14:10

It's common knowledge that it gets darker, but does it get redder too?

I'm choosing between two finishes: a medium-dark brownish cherry, and a reddish dark cherry for my kitchen. I'm edging towards the reddish dark cherry but am nervous it may be too dark.

For reference, here's the lighter, more brown cherry:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does cherry get redder over time?

Also, are we talking many years for darkening (and reddening)? What's the process like?

o

No, it doesn't get redder. If it's not sufficiently red to start with, it isn't going to "fix" itself.

As to the time it takes for darkening, it really depends on sun exposure. If you have big windows that allow direct sun to hit your cabinets, the change could be fairly quick. If the kitchen is a dim North-side room, the change will be much more gradual.

o

Cherry starts off with a red-pink tint to the raw wood, and slowly browns up with UV exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here