Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petersen_gw

Cleaning Butcher Block - Vinegar or Not?

petersen
14 years ago

I am turning to the experts for advice. I am the doting owner of beautiful cherry butcher block counters, including a large end cut works surface. I have my scraper and my mineral oil and mineral oil/beeswax mixture, but I want to know the best way to kill bacteria (meat) and odors (garlic). Internet resources suggest white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are good for this purpose, but I've seen some retailers warn about the warping and worse properties of vinegar if it comes in contact with the wood.

What should I be doing to make sure I am sanitary and that everything is not infused with garlic.

Also, if bleach is not good for waterlox, which is what my stand-alone cabinet is finished with, what can I use on that?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

Comments (8)

• petersen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Linda!

• tom999
    14 years ago

I would use a 20% solution of vinegar and water for sanitizing. Have you tried waterlox (Tung oil) instead of mineral oil? It will provide a much better finish over the long term.

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

Tom999, you are not supposed to cut food directly on Waterlox - it has sealers as well as the Tung Oil. When you cut food on it, it cuts through the seal. The beeswax/mineral oil is a better choice to cut on.

• Libby Klancher
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just recently installed butcher block countertops. I made a solutiony suspension of water mineral oil and vinegar. I put it in a spray bottle, shake it and spray to clean. I feel like the mineral oil cancels out the drying properties of the vinegar. Am I on to something or should I stop?

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

I don't know that vinegar has drying properties, but acid can attack wood. Vinegar is a fairly weak acid but over time it could have effects. I am not sure that mineral oil would do anything to change that, since they don't mix, and mineral oil doesn't neutralize acid.

I am not an expert on wood finishes, but I am a chemist, and if you want to deactivate vinegar, you can always use something mildly basic. Like a solution of a tablespoon of baking soda in a quart of water. It's buffered at pH 8.3 so not that far above neutral, so it's gentle in itself and will not hurt anything. Basically a rinse with slightly alkaline water. Dry it afterwards and you should have no problems with residues.

I would put oil on when it's as dry as possible, so it will not be prevented from soaking in by moisture that's in the wood. You want the oil to be between the fibers, but if there's water in there, it won't go in.

• Jim Mat
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The original post is old..Libby why do you want to spray your butcher counter tops with oil and vinegar? What are your “butcher block” counter tops?

Are you the original owner of the butcher block counter top?

• rwiegand
    3 years ago

1) use a cutting board 2) Acetic acid (vinegar) is volatile, it will evaporate without neutralization. 3) I doubt most bacteria will be fazed by brief exposure to vinegar, the inherent antibacterial compounds in the wood will probably be much more effective.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions