Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overlay on replacement cabinet doors

Posted by pbishop (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 13:43

Hi everyone

I am replacing the doors on framed kitchen cabinets and I am trying to achieve a frameless look. Most of the Euro hinges I have seen for framed cabs max out at 1&1/4 inch.

Does the overlay have to be the same on all 4 sides of the cabinet? If I make the height and the side opposite the hinge greater than 1&1/4 inch am I going to have problems.

If anyone has experience with a good euro hinge with a greater overlay than 1&1/4 inch please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overlay on replacement cabinet doors

I do not see the height being an issue since the installation depends on hinge placement rather than an adjustment.

I am not sure how you are installing hinges on a 3/4 face frame with a Euro hinge. But since adjustments need to be made for pulling in and letting out to make vertical installation straight, there may be a problem there.
Of course you realize that the Euro hinge was meant to install on a side end panel, and not leave that much reveal on those 3/4" sides.

It is hard to know if all your door openings and face frames are plumb and level to begin with.

Have you checked all your options for a face frame hinge you could adapt to this? Or remove the face frames and remake door and frames to be less width? Just throwing options out there. I used to manage a kitchen department for a custom cabinet shop, so I am limited in that I have not actually built cabinets myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hinge choices option

o

Why don't you check out Barker Doors.com. They have great instructions on how to measure for all the different overlays, and including inset.

o

Thanks for posting that, I am looking forward to reading all that is on that site!

pbishop,
I wish you all the luck in finding your solution!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here