Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spraying pre stain

Posted by kwhoughton (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 13:36

I always brush on a pre-stain prior to staining wood. I was thinking of spraying it on instead. Does anyone have any experience with spraying on pre-stain? Is there anything wrong with spraying it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spraying pre stain

What do you mean by a pre-stain -- a dye, a wash coat, a sealer, or one of the so-called "wood conditioners?"

Here is a link that might be useful: wood conditioners

o

"Pre-stain" is a Minwax product that you put on wood prior to staining to eliminate blotching. If you haven't heard of it, you probably wouldn't know the answer to my question.

o

He and I do not use that kind of wood conditioner, since a wash coat of blond shellac is much preferrable to most manufactured products. A wash coat of shellac is about a one pound cut(or less/more) depending on the type of wood.

I suppose you could spray on that stuff about which you asked, but a preconditioner does not need to be applied in a thick layer, like spraying will do.

o

1-pound cut wax free shellac is cheaper and more effective.

o

KW, I guess I will be quiet then. The fact that this is my profession probably makes me a complete doofus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here