Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Type of wood for nursery lettering

Posted by hoosierdoc (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 13:20

What type of wood should I use to cut letters out for a nursery wall? I have a scroll saw I plan to use and then sand the edges down. I'm not thinking anything too thick or technical for final design. The wood would then be painted prior to hanging.

I appreciate any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Type of wood for nursery lettering

Poplar.

o

Second the poplar -- it's cheap, knot free (for the most part) and takes paint well.

o

Third for poplar. It's also available at many home centers in a variety of thicknesses.

o

poplars cool unless you want to stain it (poplar takes stain a little funny sometimes)

o

Poplar takes stains funny a lot of the time. Especially the stains you find in big boxes.

o

I used some leftover aeromatic cedar from a closet lining kit.

o

Aromatic red cedar contains oils that inhibit curing of many finishes. It may work, but I'd test first with your intended paint on scrap. No sense putting a lot of work into this and ending up with finish that is permanently soft.

Here is a link that might be useful: see adhesion problems

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here