Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning and finishing old vanity (Pic)

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 13:12

Hi
I have this old vanity with all the pieces but it is very dirty and the finish is not in good condition.
Can someone tell me what is the best way to clean it first and then perhaps put a new stain or something.
I cannot get RAF in my area.
Thanks for any help.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning and finishing old vanity (Pic)

Frankly, I have tried Restore-a-Finish (RAF?) a few times and have never been impressed with it. It seems a temporary, putting lipstick on the pig, and does not address fundamental issues that would be as easy to repair as just using Restore-A-Finish.

The article below is the basic procedure I use when doing this sort of "refreshing" or "refurbishing" work. Start with a good cleaning, abrade any surface degradation, do any color touch up, and apply a new top coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving the finish

o

Thanks for the answer bobsmyuncle.
Can you tell me if I can use rubbing alcohol for that test or is it different than denatured alcohol.

o

Good question. I know that any alcohol will dissolve shellac, but rubbing alcohol has a significant portion of water in it, so I don't know how well it will work.

o

OK. bob I found the denatured alcohol and did the test and it did not become sticky.
So I guess I now have to do the mineral spirts test but again a question. Is Min Spirts the same thing as paint thinner or turpertine or is it another product entirely.
Thanks

o

Paint thinner is normally (odorless) mineral spirits, a petroleum distillate. It lies between gasoline and kerosene. Naphtha is between gasoline and mineral spirits. So mineral spirits is slower drying and oilier than naphtha.

Turpentine is distilled tree sap. It has similar chemical properties as mineral spirits but is more expensive and smellier.

Chances are that your finish is lacquer that was the most common factory finish between WWII and today. Between WWI and WWII, shellac started to decline and lacquer started to increase in use.

o

That's a beautiful vanity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here