Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screened Doors

Posted by Cardinalee (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 12:27

I am building screened doors for my back porch. I used 1x4s for the frame except a 1x6 on the bottom. It was put together using pocket holes and screws. I want to dress it up a bit using a small triangular piece of profiled trim. Should the profile face in or out on the door? Which side of the door should the screen be placed on. I plan to attach the screen on the surface and cover the edges with "screen" trim. Is there a right way to do this or just personal choice? Opinions please. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screened Doors

The right way to do this is to rabbet the stiles and rails, put the screening in the rabbet, staple it in place and then the moulding on top of the stapled screening. This all is on the exterior of most if not all commercially available screen doors.

o

Thanks for the response Millworkman. Problem is I have very limited skills and equipment. Can't do a rabbet, don't have a router. The doors are only my 3rd build ever. Ambitious on my part but nothing ventured, nothing gained. The door just has vertical and horizontal cross pieces on the bottom. Want to add some trim to the interior edges to make it look more professional. As usual, it seems sometimes the more simple things hold me up. I'm trying to wing it, so I'm greatful to hear from people that know what they are doing.

o

Since you have no skills in building your doors, you can create your door the way you want. It's just that the profile should be face out so that you can get more air from the porch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here