Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripping 1932 assumed pine interior stairs

Posted by RosalieRosie (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 12:08

I've done so much reading I'm overwhelmed. I need a plan.

I have to use something like Citistrip - dog in lower apartment, two bunnies in mine.

The treads have a wonderful grain to them. I understand that after stripping them, if water is used afterward, it'll ruin the wood.

Also, the boards on the sides of the treads have been painted and I want to remove that too

So, citristrip. Then, what can I use to clean the residue and how. I have steel wool and plastic scrapers.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripping 1932 assumed pine interior stairs

See #4 instructions on the product label.

From the Citristrip label.
Directions for use
1. Protect hands with chemical-resistant gloves and eyes with chemical splash goggles.
2. Shake well. Pour into a metal container and apply with a paint brush.
3. After 30 minutes (up to 24 hours), scrape a small test area to see if finish is ready for removal. Gently
scrape in direction of wood grain with a plastic stripping tool. For stubborn areas, use an abrasive stripping
pad dipped into CITRISTRIP® Paint & Varnish Stripper. A toothbrush, toothpick or stripping brush will help
remove old finish buried in recesses.
4. Use a paint stripper wash or Odorless Mineral Spirits with an abrasive stripping pad to loosen remaining
residue. Surface should be completely clean and dry before refinishing.

o
RE: Stripping 1932 assumed pine interior stairs

Thank you so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here