Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickt_gw

Glaze over Polyurethane (to darken finish)

nickt
9 years ago

I am building a custom shelving/hanging system for a walk-in closet. I am using birch plywood for the panels and birch hardwood for the facings and structural elements. So far I have darkened the birch with iron acetate and applied one coat of polyurethane to the panels. The color and finish are a beautiful medium dark tone that nicely highlights all the figure in the plywood veneer. However, the boss (my wife) wishes it was a shade or two darker! She is hoping for a "dark walnut" type of look. As I said, the pieces are fairly dark (maybe about 3/4 of the way there) already. I have put WAY too much time into this to consider taking it back to the wood for more staining...and I would have concerns about sanding through the birch ply veneer. So, my question is whether there is a glazing product that I can apply on top of the poly to darken the finish. Then of course more poly on top. If a dark glaze can be used this way, I would really appreciate any tips on surface prep and application, as well as brands/colors of glaze that may approximate the dark walnut look.

Comments (8)