amrad_gw

scrubbed pine finish

amrad
15 years ago

anyone know how to make the european pine finish. Before you do the wax finish

Comments (9)

• rockhead515
    15 years ago

What do you mean by "scrubbed pine finish" and/or "the european pine finish"? More details will make it easier to help you.

• skanman14
    15 years ago

my thoughts exactly, if you want a white wash look if that's what youre reffering to by "european finish" or "scrubbed pine," then its just a matter of selecting the right staining product like minwax white oak, or pickling stain. I will say that the natural patina of the wood is going to affect the outcome, a walnut is never going to be as light as a pine but it will look interestingly unique, I like the way it looks but i am an exception i think, to popular opinion, so... i hope that was useful

Here is a link that might be useful: whitewashed furniture

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

First rule of wood finishing: Never let a customer describe a color to you in words.

I turned down a job last month, I'm sure the lady was convinced all I needed to do was find a can of "burnished walnut" stain and it would perfectly match the piece she had, regardless of any other finishing product or wood species.

• cottagemagpie
    13 years ago

Hi there--I know this thread is really old, but I have the same question!!! I'm not a woodworker, just a home & garden enthusiast with a pine table to finish.

Here's a link to a page with a late 1800's scrubbed pine table that has the finish I'd like to try and replicate (knowing it'll be tricky because this is an antique and my table is new). Click on the little thumnail to see a bigger picture. Any suggestions welcome!

~Angela :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: French Antique Pine Table

• cottagemagpie
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'll try that on a test board and see how it works. What color stain did you use or would you use?

• amrad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To give the pine an old look I used Watco danish oil, then applied a couple coats of Briwax.

• lamd
    13 years ago

Angela,
    I did this and loved the results!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aged Pine Finish

• vanalbrecht
    2 years ago

Scrubbed Pine, like seen on antique European pieces, is literally scrubbed wood, then waxed. Just raise the grain with hot water and "scrub" it smooth a few time. Sand it as smooth as you like, then use a wax like Briwax at the end to give it some level of finish.