o
scrubbed pine finish

Posted by amrad (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 10:38

anyone know how to make the european pine finish. Before you do the wax finish

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scrubbed pine finish

What do you mean by "scrubbed pine finish" and/or "the european pine finish"? More details will make it easier to help you.

o

my thoughts exactly, if you want a white wash look if that's what youre reffering to by "european finish" or "scrubbed pine," then its just a matter of selecting the right staining product like minwax white oak, or pickling stain. I will say that the natural patina of the wood is going to affect the outcome, a walnut is never going to be as light as a pine but it will look interestingly unique, I like the way it looks but i am an exception i think, to popular opinion, so... i hope that was useful

Here is a link that might be useful: whitewashed furniture

o

First rule of wood finishing: Never let a customer describe a color to you in words.

I turned down a job last month, I'm sure the lady was convinced all I needed to do was find a can of "burnished walnut" stain and it would perfectly match the piece she had, regardless of any other finishing product or wood species.

o

Hi there--I know this thread is really old, but I have the same question!!! I'm not a woodworker, just a home & garden enthusiast with a pine table to finish.

Here's a link to a page with a late 1800's scrubbed pine table that has the finish I'd like to try and replicate (knowing it'll be tricky because this is an antique and my table is new). Click on the little thumnail to see a bigger picture. Any suggestions welcome!

~Angela :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: French Antique Pine Table

o

I did a finish sort of like that before. Used Minwax provincial stain and mineral spirits. Start by wiping on mineral spirits to saturate the surface. While the surface is still wet, wipe the stain over it. The more saturated with solvent, the less stain absorbed. When it dries the finish looks washed out. The next step was distressing the finish to make it look antique. Seal the piece with one coat of sanding sealer or 1# cut dewaxed shellac. After the seal coat dries, distress the piece to your taste. We would use awls, chains, spiked paddles, wire wheel on a drill or anything we could think of to create marks that add to the patina, and make the piece look antique. Now, wipe another coat of stain over the entire piece, followed by a solvent wipe to remove the pigment from everywhere except the distress marks. Let it dry and the piece is ready for topcoats. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks! I'll try that on a test board and see how it works. What color stain did you use or would you use?

o

To give the pine an old look I used Watco danish oil, then applied a couple coats of Briwax.

o

Angela,
I did this and loved the results!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aged Pine Finish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here