Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wooden ceiling

Posted by mjlb (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 10:20

... posted at Remodeling, but no responses -- hoping for better luck here!

I have an older Deck House with exposed wooden ceilings (cedar, I think)... They look pale, rough, and dried out in spots, but I haven't been able to figure out what sort of maintenance should be done.

As a test, I rubbed in teak oil in a small area. It looks much smoother and better, but also quite a bit darker.

Also, if re-staining is the suggested maintenance, is it possible to get a lighter color, but still be able to see the wood grain?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wooden ceiling

To me, what you are asking is a somewhat technical question. The only answer I would accept is one from someone that has successfully fixed your problem. You might consider posting this question on the forum at the Minwax website. I have never worked with Teak Oil before and if you are talking about getting a lighter color to the existing wood, then that would usually involve bleaching it out which sounds like a lot of trouble to me. If you are talking about a lighter color than what the Teak Oil provides, again not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax Forum

o

fyi- minwax technical service would probably be able to help you out, ive called them serveral times for things i just needed to be explained to me and they definately know what they're talking about

o

Thanks to you both -- I'll e-mail or give a call to minwax...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here