Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edgeband for Lazy Susans?

Posted by chedanemi (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:53

I generally frequent the kitchen forum, but have a question for some woodworkers.

I had a friend cut me six round birch faced plywood circles for lazy susans in my new upper corner cabinets. They will be mounted to the shelves; not on a pole. I have the lazy susan hardware, but my question is, does anyone have a suggestion as to what to use for an edging on the board? Something that will stand above the board so things don't fly off as it is turned.

I have seen edgebands online that appear to be adhesive backed and ironed on. Is this something that would work, or does someone have a better idea?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edgeband for Lazy Susans?

The iron-on banding is going to be too thin to be durable.

You can cut (or have cut) solid wood strips and glue them on the edges. A lot will depend upon the diameter of the disk, but I'm guessing they're about 12" or so. It's also important to use a wood with fairly straight grain lines. Grain runout will create weak spots.

I've made hundreds of Shaker oval boxes with bent-wood sides. For these, I soak the wood in hot water for 10-15 minutes before bending and work while hot. Hard maple would match the birch fine and bends well. When worked this way, you can bend while hot, clamp into a loop a bit smaller than your disk, then apply to your disks once cool and set.

If thin enough and diameter large enough, you can just cold bend (or laminate up two even thinner strips, glued together. I'd probably start with 1/16" (~0.062") thick wood

For a neater look, I'd taper the underside end, wrap over, then sand down the upper layer to make a scarf joint.

If you don't have a band clamp to hold while gluing, you can use tape such as masking or packing tape and work your way around the circumference.

This post was edited by bobsmyuncle on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 10:41

o

That's very helpful. Thanks for the information!

o

photo bend002_zps6cae00cc.jpg

Hard maple laminated like you could do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here