Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint or Stain Pine Loft Bed?

Posted by jgs7691 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 9:34

I have recently acquired a (pre-owned) loft bed/dresser/desk combo which has some markings from previous use. (Typical crayon/pen markings, paint transfer from bumping other pieces, dings, etc.)

I am trying to decide whether to restain or paint the piece -- any suggestions on which would be preferable. I realize that staining might be a huge project, but I am concerned that a paint finish won't wear well, particularly on the loft bed ladder and the desk. To add to the quandry -- the bed is missing two long slats from the bed rails, so we will be acquiring two pieces of pine and staining/painting to match.

I would appreciate any advice from experts or diy'ers who have tackled similar projects. (A picture of the piece if attached in the link below.) Many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooper Hill Loft Bed - Lea Industries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint or Stain Pine Loft Bed?

Oh, please don't stain it. It is so much work and expense, and unless the piece of furniture is an antique or something very nice it is just not worth the labor. I am speaking from my own experience, of course, and others may disagree, but oh my goodness. My kids would be adults before I was finished with a project like that.

Is it possible to clean it really well and to get rid of the crayon, paint, and pen marks? You could then do a light sand and put two new coats of polyurethane or varnish or whatever is on it now on to make it look newer.

As far as the missing bed rails, you could try to stain them to match, but it might look really nice if you stained them a different color entirely. Perhaps you could choose another two or three pieces of the set to stain the same contrasting color.

Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here