Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaps in Window Sill Returns--How much putty is too much...

Posted by Augbale (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 8:45

New to this forum but hoping to get some feedback on how big a gap is acceptable or normal on the window sills we had installed. Our contractor says that with putty and paint it will be fine, but I really think the gaps are very large, and frankly, that he and the saw and measuring tape are not really good friends...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaps in Window Sill Returns--How much putty is too much...

That's way too big. The carpenter should be able to make and glue in a wafer of wood, as he should have done when he miscut it to begin with.
Casey

o

Completely unacceptable.

Have done similar installs and never left close to a gap like that.

o

Thanks. At least one other person doesn't think I'm nuts....He's actually done the same thing on 4 of the 5 sills he's done so far, and is just using putty. I'm paying a lot for the work being done and I'm just wondering if I should ask the company he works for (who we have a contract with) to redo the sills and moldings. I wish I knew if there some standard for the size of the gaps that I could hold them to.

o

There is NO standard gap!

There is the professional standard no gap fit. One that does not need putty.

Talk to the company. They should fix the sub standard work.

o

Thanks. So does that mean it is fair to ask for new sills? And also for the moldings around the windows which also have gaps, or were not cut straight? Or do I have to accept that they fill with wood wafers as a previous poster said?

o

Basic professional---and if a person is being paid for a job they should be professional-----trim carpentry means no gaps anywhere. Sills, moldings or stools(the board sometimes installed under the sill).

You should get minimum quality at least---what you have is nowhere close to minimum quality.

o

Thanks. I'm going to talk to the company and see what they are willing to do about it.

o

Were the stools to be left natural,the gap would be a problem. Since they appear unfinished,I asume they are to be painted which will "almost"conceal the misfit. Having said that,much depends on who's at fault here. If the same contractor installed new windows,I would expect near perfect fit and finish. Lack of attention to detail while installing window make's trim out difficult. Actualy the root could lie with framing and/or siding. It's not unusual to find different depths from window to window. The solution is to rip off a strip at rear of stool equal to gap.

o

A competent finish carpenter can make a sill fit uneven windows. How do I know---by doing that very thing.

I've finished jobs after the original carpenter was fired and I was mainly a handyman---with trim carpentry knowledge.

Patching---even on painted trim is simply a waste of time---it is easier to do it right than to patch it.

o

Augbale:

Completely unacceptable. Look up the AWS:

Here is a link that might be useful: AWS

o

Thank you so much! I am still waiting to hear from the company what they intend to do. Keeping my fingers crossed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here